Saturday, May 24, 2014

An Introduction to Wirework Jewellery

I have to confess that I didn't spend a lot of time on wirework jewellery before I apprenticed as a goldsmith in Italy. I've always liked crafts and making things, but this was in the Internet Dark Ages, before Pinterest and Tumblr and all of those other new-fangled sites, and I didn't know that I could start off making really complex jewellery without knowing how to solder or buy all kinds of tools. I was under the impression that wirework was mostly stringing beads and stones together with wire and that was it.

I guess it's kind of funny that I had to do the apprenticeship first before I discovered the versatility of wirework -- so many things you can actually do! 

Here are a couple of examples of simple wire wrapping over semi-precious gemstones using copper wire, sterling silver wire, and gold-filled wire.



These are fairly basic stuff, and in Wirework I, participants should be able to come away with enough knowledge to start making jewellery using the same techniques as above. Wirework II will get a bit more advanced, with complex link-making and wire-knitting. Below is an example of a knitted necklace with peridots using 14 karat gold-filled wire.


And this is an earring made with knitted coloured copper wire.



You don't have to do Wirework I in order to do Wirework II, but you do need to be familiar with the tools and basic wirework techniques in order to be able to keep up with the workshops. 

As for Wirework I, beginners who have never even picked up a single pair of pliers in their lives are absolutely welcome. Don't be intimidated, the workshops are focussed but relaxed, and you'll likely find yourself so addicted to making jewellery that you'll be wielding your pliers any chance you get. Who knows, you might run off to Italy and take up goldsmithing, too!

If our wirework classes sound like something you'd like to do, please check out our current schedules and how to register here!



No comments:

Post a Comment